CFA prep books are absolutely essential to help you prepare for each CFA exam. Prep books should meet certain criteria, such as:
- The topics covered in the CFA prep material should mirror the objectives that will be tested in the exam.
- The explanations should be accurate and easy to understand
- There should be questions for you to answer after each topic to make sure you have a good understanding of the material covered
- There should be several practice exams in each CFA prep book you use
How to use CFA prep books
CFA prep books should be used as study aids. You should first study all the material in the books that come as part of the program. You should never use CFA preparation books to replace that of the course material recommended by the CFA Institute. The main purpose of CFA prep material is to help provide you with a better understanding of any key concepts with which you may be having difficulty. They are also great for pinpointing important topics to which you should pay special attention when preparing for the exam.
Buying CFA prep books
Chances are you don’t know where to start if you want to purchase CFA exam prep books when you register for the Level 1 exam. A search online will bring you numerous possibilities for CFA prep material and most of these books are very expensive. Most bookstores don’t carry these books because the demand for them in any great quantity is not that great. They do have them online.
Tips for choosing which CFA prep books to buy include:
- Skim through the pages of the book that are provided on the site to determine whether or not there is adequate coverage of all the topics
- Make sure that there are some practice questions as well as the answers
- Check the site to see if there is a refund policy so that you will be able to return the book if you realize it is not what you need
- Check with chartered financial analysts to get recommendations on the best CFA preparation books.